On September 30, 1959, the former Village of Frankenmuth became an incorporated Home Rule City under Act 297 of the Public Acts of 1909, severing from the Township of Frankenmuth. The City and Township, through a joint study committee, divided the property and assets under a Property Division and Reconciliation Agreement. Of primary importance in this Agreement, it was agreed that the Fire Department and City-Township Building would continue to be jointly owned and maintained. The Tuscola Road Cemetery remained property of the Township; however, the City would share in maintenance costs and city residents were eligible for burial. The City-Township Commission still meets today to discuss items impacting our shared services.